Preparing a surftrip from Euskadi to Galicia? This is everything that cannot be missing from your roadmap...
La Green Spain is full of waves From the Basque Country, passing through Asturias and Cantabria, to Galicia, there are more than a thousand breaks suitable for surfing. Every year there are more surfers from countries such as the United Kingdom, France, Portugal, Germany, the Netherlands or Italy who set their holiday destination on the Cantabrian coast with the intention of organizing their trip around surfing and waves. And they all come back... It must be for a reason!
To help you plan your next trip, we've rounded up some surfers, set up the boards, hopped in the van, and hit the road. This is the road map of our one-week trip through the most surfing Green Spain:
DAY 1 / EUSKADI: DISCOVERING BIZKAIA
Either because we come from the north of Europe by road or because we land at the Bilbao or San Sebastián airport, our trip will begin in Euskadi, specifically in the province of Bizkaia.
- Surfing in Sopela.
- Appetizer at Bar El Peñón watching the line up (also recommended for sunset).
- Visit Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.
- Visit the Surfing Euskadi expo at Itsasmuseum Bilbao.
- Route of pintxos through the Old Town of Bilbao.
- Overnight at Moana Eco Surf House (Sopela).
DAY 2 / GIPUZKOA: CRADLE OF CHAMPIONS
- Surfing in Zarautz.
- Appetizer at Shelter Surf Bar watching the waves.
- Walk through Zarautz, cradle of great champions: Aritz Aranburu, Axi Muniain, Ibon Amatriain...
- Lunch at Mayflower Restaurant (Getaria).
- Transfer to Donosti.
- Bike tour of the city's three beaches: Ondarreta, La Concha and La Zurriola.
- Surfing in La Zurriola.
- Overnight at Hotel Arrizul Beach.
DAY 3 / CANTABRIA: ENDLESS WAVES
- we set course for Cantabria. Transfer to Somo beach.
- Surfing in Somo.
- Visit to the Somo Surf Center.
- Transfer to Santander by ferry (Los Reginas).
- Lunch at Bodega El Riojano Restaurant (Santander).
- Visit the Peninsula and the Magdalena Palace.
- Walk through El Sardinero and surf check (in case there are waves).
- Return to Somo by ferry (take a round trip ticket).
- Paddle surf and sunset in the Cubas estuary.
- Accommodation and dinner at Plea Beach House (Loredo).
DAY 4 / ASTURIAS: NATURAL SURFING PARADISE
- Course to Asturias. Transfer to Gijón.
- Visit to Vita Surfboards (Gijón).
- Surf check and surf in San Lorenzo.
- Lunch at La Galana Cider House (Gijón).
- Transfer to Salinas.
- Surfing in Salinas.
- Dinner at Ewan Restaurant (Salinas).
- Accommodation at Alamar Surf House.
DAY 5 / DISCOVERING GALICIA: FERROL
- we left for Galicia. Transfer to Ferrol.
- Stop at Tapia de Casariego, venue of the mythical test of the European surf circuit Goanna Pro.
- Surfing in Doniños (Ferrol).
- Food in Ferrol.
- Transfer to A Coruña.
- Walk and tourist visit to the city.
- Dinner in A Coruña.
- Overnight at Riazor Hotel.
DAY 6 / CORUÑA: END OF THE JOURNEY
- Morning surf in A Coruña: Orzán/Matadero beach
- Food in A Coruña.
- Transfer to Santiago de Compostela.
- Visit to the Cathedral and walk around the city.
- Airport transfer. The end of the trip.
See this post on Instagram
If you want to follow our surf trip, pay attention to our social networks from October 17 to 22. It will be an amazing trip full of surfing and incredible places to discover!